Taupo Maritime Radio ZLM
Updated 01 November 2022, version 1.7
Contacting Using HF Radio
Coast Station: 38 30S 176 28E
Telephone: +64 4 550 5280
- Calculate the distance from your vessel to the position above.
- Using the table below, call on the HIGHEST Voice Calling frequency for the distance to the coast station, at the suggested time.
- The coast station will answer your call and ask you to change to the working frequency.
- If no reply after a few minutes, try the next highest frequency at the next suggested time.
- Unless in distress, avoid calling in the 3 minutes after the hour and half hour.
|less than 150nm||2182||2207||After sunset|
|150nm - 300nm||6215||6224||Late afternoon|
|300nm to 1000nm||12290||12356||Early afternoon|
|1000nm to 3000nm||16420||16531||Early afternoon|
The table above is an intentional simplification to be used as a guide by an operator without an in depth understanding of HF radio propagation or access to prediction software.
Taupo Maritime Radio ZLM coverage is NAVAREA XIV (14) shown below.
HF Radio Prediction To 500 Nautical Miles
Divide kilometres by 2 for approximate distance in nautical miles.